Wednesday, July 30, 2008

PSA Challenge 10 LO

Well here's my entry for Scrap-n-Crop's Project Scrap Away's challenge 10. The theme was to scrap with a cultural theme.

First up though - I want to thank everyone who helped me blog for immunity. You were awesome and I still can't believe the fantastic response I got. :-) So thanks heaps. I had the choice again last night to chose whether to use immunity or not and after studying the LO's (which are all great) I just couldn't chose to use the immunity to make sure I stayed in the contest. It just didn't sit right with me. I'd like my LO to be judged on it's own merit, not just because I want to stay in. So I won't be blogging for immunity anymore (that's if I am still in the contest!!). Sort of seems pointless when I just can't bring myself to say "yes I'll take immunity". I'll still blog about PSA, but not to get more points for immunity.

So here's my blurb about my LO:

This challenge has made me homesick! Kiwiana (a name given to sum up all aspects of New Zealand culture) was the inspiration for my LO. In 1991 McDonalds launched a new burger in NZ called the Kiwiburger. The advert for this had a really catchy tune and listed lots of Kiwiana that are part of the New Zealand way of life. I took parts of the jingle and also added other things that reflected what being a "Kiwi" means to me.

Not having any New Zealand themed papers in my stash (and being too far away from NZ to purchase any) I decided to make my own. Even though I don't have a drop of Maori blood in my veins I wanted to include part of the Maori culture on my LO, so I chose a flax weave serviette and mod podged it to white cardstock. I also drew a koru free hand on red cardstock and edged it in black. (The koru is the Maori name given to the newborn, unfurling fern frond and symbolises new life, growth, strength and peace. It is an integral symbol in Maori carving and tattoos, it's also an iconic symbol of New Zealand flora.)

My LO includes Kiwi slang, the Kiwiana words are in rhyme form and it's designed so that people think about New Zealand culture and ask questions. To add interest and a little more texture to my LO I used funflock on the sheep, added glitter to the fish and butterfly and created the jandals out of corrugated card. I used dimensional magic on the title letters and foamed out all words on the layout.

Journaling:
What being a Kiwi means to me …
All Blacks, Thermal Dacks, Walking Tracks
Gumboots, Punga Shoots, Kiwifruits
Pohutukawa, Maori Haka
Hot Pools, Rugby Balls, Snapper Schools
World Peace, Woolly Fleece, Raising Beasts
Silver Fern, Sun Burn
Jandals, Sandals, Coromandels
Swandri's, Butterflies, Fishing Flies
Marmite, She'll Be Right
Buzzybees, Cabbage Trees, Paua Please
Kauri Tree, Kiwi, L&P
Whitebait, Good On Ya Mate




So what do you think? Think it sums up being a Kiwi for you? :-) I'd love to hear your opinion.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rachel you have to do what is right for you.Liked reading the journalling and the story behind it, great job. Love the cute embellishments you created for this. Good luck for the next round.

Penny said...

Well good on ya mate and I fully hope you won't need any immunity. It has been amazing the number of bloggers who've picked up on the support.

I really like this one - the detail and the colours are great. Red and black excellent choice there. Cute jandals!!

Anonymous said...

What a great Kiwiana page - go you!!
Have been hearing about your contest involvement - good luck. I admire your attitude regarding immunity - however, the other contestants might not be seeing things the same and then you might find yourself eliminated despite the merit of your work...

Anonymous said...

Totally Kiwi! This rocks!
Good luck for the rest of the contest, I am sure you won't need immunity anyway ...

Anonymous said...

Thats awesome Rachel very kiwi well done - typical kiwi ingenuity with your layout

Unknown said...

Awesome page and I get what you have said about immunity, cos thats the same response that I have lol Well done for getting through, OH MY to round 11 lol

Anonymous said...

beautiful page... totally kiwi... and congratulations on getting to the next round.

fulltime mom

Anonymous said...

Good on you for not pursuing immunity – I hate that it turned a creative-thinking challenge into a 'who's got the most friends' contest.

That said, if you change your mind, I'll always add a comment to help out (and somehow learn to live with my hypocrisy).