Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Project Scrap Away Challenge 11


Well, I finally got my tool project for Scrap-n-Crop's Project Scrap Away finished and emailed off about 6.30pm tonight! (What a panic.) Anyway, it's done and dusted now just waiting for results. Sad news though ... we received an email tonight saying that Jessy had left the competition due to health reasons. I was sad to hear that because she is a really talented lady, both in digital and paper scrapping. So this round no-one will be eliminated.

So you wanta know what I did? I made a birdhouse (out of cardstock!). :-)

And my tool I chose was the Fiskars Paper Crimper (yeah I've had one for YEARS, just about had to dust it off, hasn't been used for ages!).

I've titled it "Crimped My Style" !!!

Here's the pics and woffle to go with it that I sent off today. Keep in mind that the photos are BORING because it was like a "tips & techniques" sort of challenge.

I chose the Fiskars Paper Crimper as my tool for this challenge. I wanted a tool that I could do more than one unconventional thing with and this fitted my criteria :-) I have used it in 5 different ways to create a Birdhouse - using the top roller to make a painted cross hatch pattern, painting the top roller while crimping paper, rolling top roller into texture paste, using the turning handle of the crimper as a stamp, using the diamond pattern for paper casting.

Cross Hatching –
Step 1 - Hold the handles of the crimper to keep the rollers apart. Using foam brush apply paint to top roller of crimper, you can use the brush to turn the roller to apply paint.
Step 2 – Still holding handles of the crimper to keep rollers apart press down upright onto paper and roll along paper.
Step 3 – Repeat Step 1.
Step 4 – Turn paper sideways and repeat Step 2.
Step 5 – Repeat above steps until you are satisfied with paint coverage on paper.



Crimp & Paint –
Step 1 – Insert paper into crimper and hold handles of crimper tightly together.
Step 2 – Using foam brush apply paint to exposed part of top roller.
Step 3 – Turn handle of crimper to crimp paper until painted area touches the paper.
Step 4 – Repeat Step 2 and Step 3 until all paper is crimped and painted.


Texture Paste –
Step 1 – Cut card to correct size.
Step 2 – Apply texture paste (a thin coat is best on ordinary cardstock!).
Step 3 – Place a piece of tinfoil over cardstock and texture paste.
Step 4 – Holding the handles of the crimper to keep the rollers apart, put it down on the edge of the cardstock and roll across.
Step 5 – Lift edges of tinfoil up so air can get around the cardstock and set it aside to dry (leave overnight at least).
Step 6 – Once texture paste is dry remove tinfoil.
Extra Tip – for best results don’t leave anywhere in reach of little boys!!


Stamping –
Step 1 – Using brush apply paint to turning handle of crimper.
Step 2 – Stamp into paper

Paper Casting –
Step 1 – Mix up water and white glue (I used PVA) together. (For this I used about half a teaspoon of glue and half a cup of water.)
Step 2– Take 8 pieces of toilet tissue, cut in half.
Step 3 – Place one half on the diamond pattern of crimper.
Step 4 – Using a stiff brush, dip brush into glue mixture and pounce into the tissue.
Step 5 – Repeat Step 4 until you are happy tissue has been pressed completely into pattern.
Step 6 – Carefully lift tissue off crimper.
Step 7 – Leave to dry (overnight).


Birdhouse –
The back and front of the birdhouse (red and yellow) were done using the crimp and paint method. The orange side was done using the crosshatch method. The green side was done with texture paste. The paper casting pieces were used for the roof, I painted it roughly so the pattern was more obvious and overlapped them like tiles. I put a piece of cardstock which I used the crimp and paint method on the top of the roof to give it a finished look.

I cut a circle in the red panel and inserted the “stamped” branch from the crimper at the base of the hole. The bird, leaves and branch were cut from white cardstock which I had crosshatched with the crimper. Applied feathers and googlie eyes to the bird.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thought this was cool, loved Sonja's flip-flops too.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about Jessie having to leave. Wow Rachel this birdhouse is so so so so cute.....great thinking batman and I loved what you did with that crimper. I am in awe.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that birdhouse is so totally cute!!! You must have spent ages taking the photos & doing the instructions too - but thanks, because I might try making one!

Anonymous said...

Sooooo cute - and yeah. I've got a crimper gathering dust somewhere too...?!
Sorry to hear a competitor had to drop out but great that there will be no elimination this round.

Penny said...

oh wow! you've done such an excellent, imaginative job there! I love the detail. And it's a cute thing too, maybe for M's room? ;)

I am so impressed. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow Rachel the bird house is stunning - love it well done

Unknown said...

Truly creative work!
Hope the day goes quickly lol