Tuesday, August 12, 2008

All Sorts

It's the end of Tuesday and it feels like it should be Friday!! LOL ... it's been a busy couple of days.

Submitted my entry for Scrap-n-Crop's Project Scrap Away this afternoon. Round 12 done and dusted. Wow ... 12 weeks have gone, I can hardly believe it. So now we wait to see what the other's have created and see who's going through to the final.

Here's my blurb about what I did ...

Title:
My Two at One

Description/Inspiration:
Well this challenge was an interesting one ... "to use scrapbook supplies we have had hoarded for years and use them in the latest scrapbook trends". I found this a great prompt to use some product from my hoarded stash (which incidentally is quite large). :-) What I found the most challenging was not using any new product on my project.

I found a pile of 4x4 canvas's in a box which I've had for over 3 years (when they were 70% off of course they are going to find their way into my hoard!), so I decided to use them and create some wall hangings of when our children turned one. The buttons, ribbon, lace and patterned papers are all more than 3 years old, Micro Beedz I've had since 2003 and the Magenta Mesh has been in my collection from 2002.

I painted the canvas then put micro beedz around the edges to add texture. To give the papers a "trendy, new" look I used my Fiskars Threading Water punch and cut out the roses and leaves from the K&Company paper. I cut a butterfly out of a rose on the vellum and used micro beedz for it's body. The leaves on my son's canvas' were cut from the same K&Company paper ... love that when you can use a real girly paper for a little boys page and it's not obvious that's what you've done :-)

Materials:
4 x canvas 4x4 size
Paint - Gesso, Making Memories Scrapbook Colours (Strawberries & Cream, Country Blue)
Patterned Paper - K&Company (Romanza Wild Roses Printed Embossed Paper, Romanza Wild Roses Printed Embossed Vellum), Chatterbox (Rosey Olive Stripe), Making Memories (Vintage Antiqued Stripe)
Card Stock - Bazzill
Magenta Maruyama Sky Blue Mesh
Tombow Pens (772, 192)
Provocraft Micro Beedz (Rose, Clear, Apple Green)
Buttons, Lace & Ribbon (from my stash)
Fiskars Threading Water Punch
Adhesive - Ranger Glossy Accents, Double Sided Foam Tape





Really pleased with how they turned out (even if I do say so myself).
Discovered that if you have micro beedz hidden in your stash that you don't use, this is a great way to use them up. You use up nearly one container of beads to do the 4 sides of a 4x4 canvas! (Amy ... if you use up your stash show me what you do with them!!) heehee For Aaron's ones I only wanted to use the green (didn't think the bright purple I had would look good ... why on earth did I buy purple???) so just did a strip.
Also want to share a couple of funny things Aaron has said in the last couple of days. Monday he was back at school :-) He had fun and was really happy to be back. At tea that night we had chicken, stirfry veges and mashed potato and he was busy with his spoon patting the spuds down all over the plate. I said "come on Aaron eat up", "No Mummy, I making pizza!", "right". Then after a bit more patting he goes "there, perfect"! I just cracked up laughing.
Toilet training with #1's is going really well, been a couple of wee accidents, but overall he's been really good. I won't mention #2's, that's going to be a work in progress! Anyway now he's wearing big boy undies (Lyndon's told me off because I called them knickers and now that's what Aaron calls them heehee, so having to be careful now what I say!), he can "fiddle". I've noticed that quite often when he's fiddling he needs to go to the loo. Anyway on Monday morning he was on the couch watching a Thomas dvd and was doing some fiddling (as you do!) and I said "Aaron do you need to go to the toilet?", "No Mummy, I tickling!" LOL So there you have it, my son doesn't fiddle, he tickles! heehee
Maddison is going through a really lovely stage of squealing when things don't go her way (which is a lot of the time!) and she will just flop down on the floor and throw a complete tanty. I DO NOT like this one little bit. Finding the best way (so far anyway) to deal with that is walk out of the room and take Aaron with me. She soon stops cause no-ones watching! Little minx.
Bought some shelving in the weekend from Ikea for our store room (I'll think about doing before and after decluttering photos like Janine!) and Lyndon put the shelves together tonight. So tomorrow I might tackle sorting out that room. No promises though :-)
Okay, I'm off to bed.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great work there Rachel and a great way to use up some of your old stash. I am impressed with the dates for which you remember how long you had it lol. Lol at tickling and not fiddling. Oh Miss M does sound like she loves teh tanty flop and drop to get some attention lol. As for Iake I am jealous.

Anonymous said...

The canvas's are really fabulous!! keeping my fingers crossed for you!!
Love the fiddling reference - they start young and never really grow up! I did question some guys about this once and they just kinda said 'well, it's there, and dangling!'!!

Anonymous said...

Those canvases look great! I love how you used the Micro Beads. Awesome way to use up some of your old stash - and definitely with a trendy twist. Love it!

Penny said...

Oh lovely lovely canvases! Great job! LOL at the micro beads ;) I have 3 packets or so of them floating around.

Lydia does that tanty flop/pathetic baby thing too. Tim never did that! Must be a girl thing. I really dislike the squealing too.

Heh heh at the tickling... Tim does it a bit (including once in the mtg *blush*).

Anonymous said...

Oooo... nice.... Love those canvasses. Gives me an idea on doing my kids at one.... :)

fulltime mom

Mrs Frizz said...

Rachel, they are totally gorgeous ... truly!!!

I laughed at the tickling as well ... hope you jot that down somewhere for a 21st comment ...

Unknown said...

Gorgeous and clever creations!!! WELL DONE!
And well done on reaching the end of this part of our adventure, it has been cool and it has been wonderful to meet you!!

Anonymous said...

Hehe Im so glad you keep the old stuff, or id be worried you might biff me out. :-)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Aaron is doing really well. Great work Mum and Dad!